by Patti Roth
Studios of Key West
The Studios of Key West offers free entry to its art galleries and free First Thursdays evening events.
Open house events are 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. first Thursdays of most months. The galleries, which display work by Keys, national and international artists, are open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. most Tuesdays to Saturdays.
The address is 533 Eaton St., Key West. Information is on the Information is on the Studios of Key West website or 305-296-0458
ArtWalk in Islamorada
Stroll among art galleries, shops, street vendors and performers at free art walk events in The Florida Keys.
The popular ArtWalk festivities in Islamorada are most Third Thursdays of the month, about 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
The Morada Way Arts District in Islamorada is between mile marker 81 and mile marker 82, 305-900-9023
Free events and discounts are featured at the History of Diving Museum in Islamorada.
- Free events at the Diving Museum are 7 p.m. most third Wednesdays of the month. The events feature speakers discussing interesting topics related to the ocean and diving.
Free entry & discount opportunities
- If you want to visit during the day, you can get $2 off adult admission with a coupon on the Diving Museum website. For the discount, print out the coupon or mention it.
- With a group of at least 10 people, the Diving Museum offers discounts. To reserve for a group, call 305-664-9737 or email info@DivingMuseum.org
- Free for ages 5 and younger
- Free for active-duty military
The diving museum is 82990 Overseas Highway, Islamorada, 305-664-9737
Regular prices are $12 for ages 12 and older, $6 for ages 6 to 11, $9 for university students, free for active armed forces, and free for ages 5 and younger
Key West Tropical Forest and Botanical attraction offers free entry for Florida Keys residents with appropriate ID is the first Sunday of most months, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Regular entry frees are $5 for adults, $3 for seniors and free for kids 11 and younger with an adult. Discounts offered for active-duty military with families. The tropical forest and botanical garden is at 5210 College Road, 305-296-1504
Information is on the Key West Tropical Forest and Botanical Garden website.
Monroe County Sheriff’s Office uses space at its Headquarters Complex to house rescued farm animals and the farm is usually open to the public the second and fourth Sundays, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. for the public to visit.
Residents at the Monroe County Sheriff’s Animal Farm often include horses, a cow, pigs, goats, bunnies, alligators, tropical birds, alpacas, sloths, a lemur, a skunk, an opossum, tortoises, turtles and snakes.
The farm is located at 5501 College Road., Key West 33040. Entry is free, donations are appreciate
Information is the Facebook page.
School tours are offered by appointment, 305-293-7300
Plants and flowers
Entry is free to enjoy the attractive trees and plants built within remnants of an historic fort, West Martello Tower. Presented by Key West Garden Club at 1100 Atlantic Blvd., Key West, 305-294-3210
In Islamorada and Key West, beer breweries offer the public opportunities for tours.
- Florida Keys Brewing offered upon request by phone reservation or in person. 200 Morada Way, Islamorada 33036, 305-916-5206, free
- Islamorada Beer Company offers brief tour offered by request, 82229 Overseas Highway, Islamorada, 305-440-2162, free
- Waterfront Brewery 5 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays and 2 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, $15 fee includes souvenir Waterfront Brewery pint glass. Information online. 201 William Street, Key West, 305-440-2270
Some theaters in Key West offers Date Night deals, Preview Night deals and other discounts for theater tickets.
- Waterfront Playhouse is at 312 Wall Street, Key West, 305-294-5015
- Deals include
- date night deals on eligible Fridays. Receive $10 off per ticket for two two tickets purchased together
- $25 tickets for previews
- $20 discount for active military personnel
- $20 discount for full-time students younger than 25
- 10 percent to 20 percent off for eligible groups