Some of the best things to do in Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Deerfield Beach and other towns in Broward are free. Allow your wallet a break and browse these recommendations.
- Along New River on Riverwalk in Fort Lauderdale, Sunday Jazz Brunch is a popular event 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. most first Sundays of the month, featuring an assortment of performers and a breezy festive vibe, with picnicking and vendors.
- Bands perform free 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. most Saturdays at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, 501 S. Federal Highway, Hallandale Beach, 954-378-0900; a schedule of featured performers is on the Gulfstream Park website.
- Friday Jazz Jam events presented by Gold Coast Jazz Society are 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. select Fridays at ArtServe, 1350 E. Sunrise Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, 954-524-0805, the schedule is on the Jazz Society website.
Watch a movie in the park
- ArtsPark in Hollywood offers free family-friendly movies most Fridays at 8 p.m. ArtsPark is on Hollywood Boulevard at U.S. 1. Deerfield Beach, Weston and Pompano Beach are amoung municipalities that also present free movies in the park ocassionally.
- Artists present free glass-blowing demonstrations at ArtsPark in Hollywood. The unique attraction is offered most Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., 954-732-7231
- ArtServe features a gallery and gift shop showcasing art from local artists, 1350 E. Sunrise Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, 954-462-8190. The gallery is open Mondays to Fridays 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturdays 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Free Art Walk events include Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood and Pompano Beach
Pick a park
- Broward regional parks and natural areas offer free entry most week days, and several venues are free on the weekends also. Activities and features at the parks vary. Free amenities may include playgrounds, basketball courts, picnic tables, geocache treasures and paths for hiking, biking and jogging, 954-357-8100. T.Y. Park in Hollywood offers free outdoor fitness equipment for guests ages 14 and older.
Play with high-tech gadgets
- Broward Library in Fort Lauderdale offers Creation Station, featuring access to sophisticated computer and electronics equipment. Activities include 3D design and printing, and robotics. Hours for Creation Station usually are 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays, 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, 100 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale, 954-356-7444
- Free computer classes and workshops on business and other topics are offered on site at Broward libraries. Online courses via Universal Class on hundreds of topics are accessible with a Broward library card.
Find more deals, discounts and free events in and around Fort Lauderdale and Broward County at Fort Lauderdale on the Cheap.